Last week I had the privilege of attending the FNB Sauvignon Blanc Top 10 at the tallest skyscraper in Cape Town, the FNB Portside Building. 2019 being the first year I am attending my very first wine awards gala, excitement leading up to the day was palpable. I was invited to attend as media and brought my husband along as my plus 1, he ended up striking up new connections with a few winemakers, whilst I mingled and caught up with a few of the industry’s best. The evening was glamorous with lots of the participants Sauvignon Blanc flowing from table to table.
The Top 10 were drawn from a broad collection of entries this year, with 107 producers submitting 183 wines. The country’s diverse wine growing regions were well represented with five out of the six regions in the Western Cape delivering at least one wine in the top 20. A total of 12 of the top 20 wines were from the 2019 vintage, confirming the overall industry consensus that this year was an outstanding year for Sauvignon Blanc.
In alphabetical order, this year’s top 10:
. Cederberg Ghost Corner Sauvignon Blanc 2019
· De Grendel Koetshuis Sauvignon Blanc 2019 (Wooded)
· Diemersdal Winter Ferment Sauvignon Blanc 2019
· Du Toitskloof Land’s End Sauvignon Blanc 2018 (Wooded)
· Groote Post Seasalter Sauvignon Blanc 2019 (Wooded)
· Lomond Sauvignon Blanc 2019
· Merwida Sauvignon Blanc 2019
· Spier Ideology Sauvignon Blanc 2019
· Stark-Condé Round Mountain Sauvignon Blanc 2018 (Wooded)
· Tokara Reserve Collection Elgin Sauvignon Blanc 2019 (Wooded)
Wine lovers will be able to acquire the 2019 FNB Sauvignon Blanc Top 10 collection via Wine of the Month Club. For more information, email email@example.com.
A technical seminar based on this year’s performance will take place on Wednesday 20 November in Franschhoek. For more information or to become a member, visit www.sauvignonblanc.com or call 021 975 4440.